Back to School Focus on Reading

Technology takes center stage a lot at the Walnut Grove school library. Reading has always been important, but this year there will be more of an attempt to emphasize our collections to increase reading.  When students come to the library next week, they'll see updated displays to pique their interests.  

In keeping with my Makerspace goals for the year, I'll be encouraging students to create book displays, too.


I've seen the Readbox idea on Pinterest for a few years.  I may be a little late to the party, but I think this will still resonate with my students.


Focusing on STEM and nonfiction is an ongoing goal this year.  Batman is sure to lure a few more readers to this area.


Sure, students don't need to be encouraged to read about their favorite sports teams, but displays like this help them find that favorite area.  My weeding project this summer means books aren't where they were last year.


This news table features my digital photo frame that plays video clips.  I'll update the video weekly to connect current events to books in our collection.


Poetry used to circulate more heavily before reading for AR points took over. I'm hoping to bring it back this year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment